Thursday, June 23, 2005




La Vision!

So here's a sketch I did of The Vision. I may attempt to color it later, but as for now, I'm just a sketch-addict.

That aside, let's talk about, well, vision. Particularily a Filmmaker's vision. Now I know that I'm probably just an idealistic student and you are welcome to write me off as such, but I think this is an area to take note of. With notable exceptions like John Lasseter (Super Genius), Brad Bird (pre-Pixar and current) and Andrew Stanton (in my humble opinion, one of the hardest working guys in the industry, I mean, he's had a hand in almost all of Pixar's foundation of successes) most American movies tend to feel the same of late. And that translates into filmmakers making decisions about story and style etc... based on convention.

There is a great post on Keith Lango's website about letting your scene "breathe" as an animator. A great bit of advice, but what if filmmakers used the same technique to allow the story in general to breathe. This allows the audience a chance to understand what is going on with the story instead of just feeding them another fart joke.

I won't say anything negative about the animation in Madagascar because it was some of the most appealing, stylized stuff to come out of Dreamworks 3D and possibly the industry (I mean it, Kudos to everyone who worked on it) but I still miss the story. I've heard the same critique on most of the animated films that have come out recently: "Really fun (or funny) but the story wasn't there." There are instances where appealing animation can distract an audience from an average story, but most films in the US tend to use that technique too freely and too often.

There is hope, though. The bigger this industry is getting, the more potential there is for the imaginations of filmmakers here in the US to go wild and come up with stuff that we all go to the movies for in the first place, to truly be taken somewhere else.
-Drew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home