Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Carlos Baena in Denver!

Animator in Action

Well this was a really great weekend. Where do I start? First off, I just want to say "thank you" to everyone who made this weekend possible: VA at RMCAD, Colorado ASIFA, and of course Carlos and the folks over at AM. It was a really great time for everyone involved. The talks were really great. I''ll probably post some of the notes I took in the next few weeks, but I'm still processing a lot of the info.

Carlos and Shabaaz

Todd, Aaron, Sara, Me and Carlos

Friday, Carlos talked to the school covering everything from anticipation to camera choices when making a short film. It was an intense crash course on everything animation in about 3 hours. Incidentally, he was only scheduled to talk for two hours, but the stuff kept coming. I know it was really helpful to a lot of folks, myself included. That same evening, he talked at the ASIFA meeting. More pros and students from both AIC and UCD at this one. I also got to meet four AM students that I didn't even know were in the area. So here's to Shabaaz, Aaron, Sara and Todd. Really great boarding with you guys as well. So that was Saturday and after that, Carlos and I met with Sam Fleming and Evert Brown for dinner in Boulder. Didn't get to see the Mork and Mindy house, maybe next time to send pictures to Jason. I even grabbed a Boulder map for you, man, but I forgot to send it with.


Sunday was probably the best day for me. We got to the airport about an hour and a half early and settled ourselves at a little place in the food court at DIA. Carlos went thru my reel and wow... Just the insight that he brought was awesome. What an eye. A little unnerving at times, too. It was sort of like when you're at the dentist and he asks you, "Have you been flossing?" You know that you can't lie because he's staring at the evidence right there. But you pull yourself together anyway and say, "Uh hunh" as drool runs down onto your neck. Anyway, Sam told him to be rough on me and he certainly pulled no punches. It was one of the most helpful crits I've gotten. Almost made the poor guy late for his plane, though. Sorry man.

So that was it. That was the nutshell version of this past weekend. Stay tuned because, like I said, it was a crazy weekend and I really haven't had time to process all the details yet. Quite amazing and really helpful to get me focused back on animation and less on having "a finished film for graduation." Films are great and I still want to finish it because I am liking where the story is going, but I really should be concentrating on acting tests and locomotion. Plus there are some things about the character design that could use some work. When Carlos pointed out that the nose sometimes looked like a bottom lip, it got me thinking about rebuilding... AGAIN! Needless to say, I've got some flossing to do. And not in the gangsta' rap kinda way.

-Drew

7 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous AndyG said...

Its good to hear all the crazy fun that went on. I agree that presentation was really good. Just a quick question, how long does it take you to get an animation test?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Drew said...

not sure if i know what you mean exactly. it really kind of depends on the shot that you're doing. email me and let me know more specifics.

droo182 (at) hotmail (dot) com

-d

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous AndyG said...

Could I email to your school account?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Drew said...

yea, it's ablom, not dblom.

-d

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Shahbaaz said...

Drew! WAAZZZUUPP!! Hey man it was awesome meeting you this past weekend! You kick A$$ dude! Your site is great. Keep up the great work. I hope we can stay connected in the future. Maybe we can hang out a time or two! You should also email me a high res of that picture of me and Carlos, that would be swweeeet! There's some people that wanted that pictured autographed.....by me! HA!! I wish. So yeah dude keep in touch and good luck with the great work you're doing.

Keep in touch

shah@bigtimeanimation.com

Shahbaaz

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Drew said...

hey man, awesome to meet you. get your site fixed so i can look at your stuff! evert was nothing but complimentary of your work. i wanna see it.

-d

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my site, I wish you all the best for your child and your wife.

Very nice posts you have on your blogg!

Take care,

Tony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home