Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Shelved...


I've given this much thought and as for where I am in my film (simultaneously where I am in my understanding of animation) I am officially shelving Buzz'd for the time being. I realized in listening to Carlos talk about animation and filmmaking that I really have a long way to go. Given that there are still some basic principles of animation in general that I have yet to address, I cannot justify throwing together a half-baked idea just for the sake of my grad-show. I feel the work that I have put into the project, as primitive as it may look, deserves the time to finish it properly.

This is not to say that I am giving up on the film. In fact, I've just recently been re-working the main character to have a more readable face and have made significant changes to the overall story for the sake of clarity. But I just don't feel that I have the story or the animation where I want them to be in order to call it done. I am for-going finishing this project for the sake of doing more animation tests as well as finishing up some dialogue pieces that I started a long time ago. These will be focused learning exercises and should prove to be better pieces for a final demo reel than a work-in-progress student film. Quite frankly, after my experience here at school, I don't want to call this a "student film." Not from this school anyway.
I appreciate all of the help and input I've gotten from various people over the past few months. Everyone has been encouraging and supportive. This has been a definite learning experience and I don't at all want to discount that. I've learned about rigging, file management and more than I ever cared to about shaders;) I finally feel like I have the ability to make a second run at this thing in the future and have something that will be more successful than if I were to push the current underdeveloped project out of the nest.

-Drew

6 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous AndyG said...

I think from time to time we all get to where you are. We want to stop completely. However, in Jason's class we watched a Brad Bird interview. One of the animators next to Brad said something along the lines of "a project is like a shark if it stops moving it will die".

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Drew said...

i think the key is knowing when to pull back and re-adjust. that's all i'm doing right now. just re-evaluating and seeing what i can get out of this story. i'm not stopping completely, just taking the time to do things right and not letting the deadlines of the school get in the way of having something i'm proud of.

-drew

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous AndyG said...

That’s very true; you wouldn't want a deadline to let the vision of your story die.

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Alex said...

Sometimes, you have to stop for a while and just re-consider some things. But be carefull, if you do it to long without any progress, you may loose your enthusiasm. Keep up with good work.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Alex Orrelle said...

Drew -
You should finish the film.
You will always have time for refining your animation skills later by doing short exercises, but you will *rarely* have the time to focus on making a film. However much it may suck - you have to make your first film if you feel it's your calling. If you miss this opportunity, you'll spend a much longer time getting back to where you are today with it. FINISH IT!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger The Decider said...

Dear Blogger:

This is for your information and is not intended as a spam post.

Find out how you can promote your blog and/or website for free (really!) at:

http://college-scholarships.com/free_website_promotion_program.htm

You'll learn how I achieved #1 rankings for my websites in Google, Yahoo, and MSN.


The program is absolutely free and it really works.

See the proof at:

http://college-scholarships.com/free_website_promotion_program.htm

Best Wishes,
Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home